Due to the pandemic and unclear travel situation, the Award is 2021 limited to Germany.
Registration and application: until April 30, 2021
To the registration
Engelbert Strauss is offering as a leading manufacturer of workwear the Special Award Workwear Couture.
It takes place in cooperation with the European Fashion Award FASH.
“The fashion industry is leaping into the future. We’re helping tomorrow’s designers get to grips with cutting-edge tailoring methods. And Strauss is the perfect partner, with unmatched know-how when it comes to advanced clothing technologies.” Joachim Schirrmacher, Director, European Fashion Award FASH
It’s a Magnetic World
Fashion is a magnet. Textile opposites attract. This is a law of the universe. Workwear is practical. Fashion is… particular. Workwear is function. Fashion is form.
But great workwear finds a way to be both. Strauss overcome the laws of physics to intermingle function and form, creating workwear as interaction. Strauss believe people crave function and fashion.
So the world needs new tailoring artists: a fresh generation, able to mix head and heart. Combining imaginative freedom with first-rate technical ability.
Scope for Entries
1. Step Sketch: Scribble. Sketch. Draw.
This is the most important part of your application: your initial design.
Take the best of workwear’s high-tech materials, gadgets and tools. Design a magnetic statement piece that turns heads on the runway. At its heart, the attraction of the magnet: that most modern of closure devices. Break free from convention. Create your own rules. Show us avant-garde workwear, freeing function and form. Our jury want to see your creativity. We’ll select up to 15 talented finalists based on their initial sketched concepts.
– Curriculum vitae incl. certificate of study or degree
2. Finalist – Outfit: We’ll send up to 15 finalists the Strauss Mystery Toolbox. Inside you’ll find fabrics, tools, parts – and magnets. Think ‘inside and outside’ the box. In other words: use what you find inside, making the most of at least one fabric and one accessory. Then feel free to add what else attracts you. Create an outfit that a man, woman – or anyone – can wear. At this stage we’re looking for great handcrafting skills; the way materials have been chosen and combined; functionality; innovation; sustainability; and potential for development.
The winners will be announced at the award ceremony on July 5th, 2021 in Frankfurt.
We’re inviting current design students and design graduates up to five years since graduation to compete in the Workwear Couture Special Award.
If you’re studying or working in fashion design, clothing technology, product development or design engineering, don’t miss this chance to boost your profile.
In the event of nomination as a finalist, the participants undertake to attend the Special Award Workwear Couture in Frankfurt in person and to be present during set-up and dismantling. The exact dates will be communicated in good time. The winners will travel at the invitation of Engelbert Strauss.
Registration and application: until May 4th, 2021
– 1st First Draft: It’s A Magnetic World
– 2. Curriculum vitae incl. certificate of study or degree
Nomination: May, 11th, 2021
Up to 15 finalists will be notified and receive the Strauss Mystery Toolbox. They have to create an outfit with it until the workshop.
Workshop Weekend: July 3–4, 2021
Finalists will be invited to the workshop and present their finished statement pieces to the Jury in person:
Time & Place to be confirmed
Award Ceremony: July 5th, 2021
Our talented prize winners will showcase their statement pieces as part of Frankfurt Fashion Week.
1st Prize € 2,500 Prize money
2nd Prize € 1,500 Prize money
3rd Prize € 1,000 Prize money
+ An installation of your winning entry at Frankfurter Osthafen (Frankfurt Docks)
+ An internship in the Strauss Laser Lab & Prototypes team
The jury is free to distribute the prizes differently than they are announced here.
A jury of internationally experienced experts selects the award winners in two rounds according to defined criteria. First, up to 15 finalists are chosen from all applications. The award winners are then chosen in Frankfurt. The jury’s decision is not legally contestable.
Kerstin Strauss / Creative Director, Workwear Couture
Joerg Zuber / International design agency Art Director & creator of the digital character @noonouri
Joachim Schirrmacher / Creative Consultant and Director, European Fashion Award FASH
David Schülke / Head of HR, Engelbert Strauss.
Other Jury members to be announced.
All works submitted for the Special Award Workwear Couture in accordance with the rules will be judged according to the following criteria, the weighting will be left to the jury:
– Quality of analysis
– Concept (symbolic and emotional content)
– Development potential
– Functionality (movement, ergonomics, choice of materials)
– Technical and creative implementation (selection of materials, quality of drawings, presentation, processing, fit, colour concept)
1. Step Skizze
2. Finalist – Outfit:
– Handcrafting skills
– The way materials have been chosen and combined
– Development potential
Engelbert Strauss GmbH & Co. KG
Strauss is the SUV of fashion. Loved by fans, Strauss utility products have a cult-status following. Strauss has been at the vanguard of customisation and branding for decades and is one of Germany’s top five online retailers today.
At the CI Factory, Strauss’s newest landmark, leading-edge laser technology, robotics and logistics create limitless options for you to custom design shirts, trousers, shoes and other fashion workwear in the style of your choice.
1. The organizer of the “Special Award Workwear Couture” (“SAWC”) is engelbert strauss GmbH & Co. KG, Frankfurter Str. 98 – 108, 63599 Biebergemünd.
2. The SAWC is organized and carried out in cooperation with the European Fashion Award FASH.
3. To participate in the SAWC, the participant must complete the registration form provided on the website of the Stiftung der Deutschen Bekleidungsindustrie (“SDBI”). The information and data provided there by the participants will be forwarded to the organizer, who will supervise their further handling within the scope of the competition.
4. All inquiries and notices regarding the SAWC should be directed to the organizer and not to SDBI.
1. Participation and prize eligibility is open to natural persons who are at least 18 years old. Persons under 18 years of age require the consent of their legal guardians to participate. If this is not provided, participation in the SAWC is excluded.
2. Employees of the organizer and affiliated companies as well as their relatives are excluded from participating.
III. Participation process in the SAWC
1. The process for entering and selecting winners is detailed on the http://www.sdbi.de/Special-Award-Workwear-Couture/ page.
2. Participation in the SAWC is free of charge. Catering will be provided on the two workshop days.
IV. Exclusion of warranty / changes and termination of the SAWC
1. The SAWC may be terminated due to external circumstances and constraints without giving rise to any claims by the participants against the organizer.
2. The organizer reserves the right to cancel the SAWC at any time without giving reasons or to change the conditions of participation.
1. The liability of the organizer as well as his vicarious agents for culpably caused damages, including consequential damages, is excluded, unless the damage was caused by intent or gross negligence. This does not apply to damages resulting from injury to life, body or health, or the culpable breach of essential contractual obligations.
2. In the event of a culpable breach of essential contractual obligations based on circumstances other than intent or gross negligence, the liability of the organizer shall be limited to the typically foreseeable damage.
VI. Responsibility for content
1. The organizer is not obliged to check the work/content submitted by the participants for potential infringements of third-party rights. However, the organizer is entitled to reject work/content if, in its opinion, it is unlawful or contrary to common decency.
2. By submitting work/content, participants declare that the work/content is free of third-party rights, i.e. that the content either originates from them or they have obtained the consent of the authors or other rights holders.
3. Participants shall indemnify the organizer against all claims by third parties arising from the work/content submitted by the participants. You agree to assist the organizer in any reasonable manner in defending against such claims.
The copyrights to the submitted works/content remain with the participant at all times. The organizer shall make a separate arrangement with the 15 finalists for the use and publication of the work/content and creation of photos in connection with the SAWC.
VIII. Finalists’ and award winners’ individual media work
Subject to the following provisions, the 15 finalists and the award winners are entitled to use the “Finalist” and “Award Winner” designations for their own communications without any spatial or temporal restrictions. Any communication measures planned by the finalists and prize winners in connection with the SAWC 2021, in particular related reporting, documentation, press work and advertising, must be submitted to the organizer at firstname.lastname@example.org for prior written approval and only carried out after approval has been granted. In all activities associated with the SAWC, the participant agrees to use the following designations:
• “Special Award Workwear Couture – FASH 2021.”
IX. Data protection
In addition, the following information from the organizer / FAQs on the subject of data protection apply (information in accordance with Art. 13 GDPR):
1. Who is responsible for data processing?
The responsible body is engelbert strauss GmbH & Co. KG, Frankfurter Str. 98 – 108, 63599 Biebergemünd (email@example.com). You can reach our data protection officer, Dr. Florian Modlinger, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. What sources and data do we use?
As the organizer of the award, we collect and process personal data and use it insofar as this is necessary for the establishment of the legal relationship with you as a participant and for the execution and handling of the competition and the presentation of the award (mandatory information). This concerns the following personal data in particular: Name, provided address (street, postal code, city), mobile phone number, date of birth, nationality, and information about your degree program. In addition, we process other personal data that is collected when you provide voluntary information in the registration form.
3. Why do we process your data (purpose of processing) and on what legal basis?
We process your personal data in accordance with the provisions of the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Federal Data Protection Act (BDSG) for the purpose of handling the competition. The processing of your personal data is carried out for the execution of the competition and for the awarding of the prize (Art. 6 (1) b) GDPR) as well as for the fulfilment of legal obligations or compliance with legal requirements (Art. 6 (1) c) GDPR).
We process the data collected through the voluntary provision of information on the basis of your consent (Art. 6 para. 1 a). The provision of this information is not required for the execution and handling of the competition or for the presentation of the award. Providing this information will not affect the outcome of the competition in any way. Your consent can be revoked at any time.
4. Who receives my data?
Within the company, your personal data is provided to those departments that need it to fulfill our contractual and legal obligations. We transmit your personal data to postal or transport service providers for the purpose of sending messages concerning the course of the competition and the presentation of the award or in direct connection with the award.
If you register for the competition using the form under the link http://www.sdbi.de/application/ and take part in the competition, the Stiftung der Deutschen Bekleidungsindustrie zur Förderung der Ausbildung von Nachwuchskräften in der Modebranche, Messegelände, 81823 Munich will process your data on our behalf. For this purpose, an data processing agreement was concluded with the Stiftung der Deutschen Bekleidungsindustrie zur Förderung der Ausbildung von Nachwuchskräften in der Modebranche.
5. How long will my data be stored?
We process and store your personal data to the extent permitted by law, in particular as long as this is necessary for the fulfillment of the respective purposes, i.e. for handling the competition. Thereafter, this data is regularly deleted unless you have given us your consent to further contact you for advertising purposes or to use your data for advertising purposes. We do not delete the data if it is required to comply with retention periods under commercial and tax law from the German Commercial Code (HGB) and tax regulations (Fiscal Code (AO), Application Decree for the Fiscal Code (AEAO)). In this case, the time limits specified there for storage or documentation apply. As a rule, this is ten years.
6. Will data be transmitted to a third country?
No. Data are not transferred to third countries.
7. What data protection rights do I have?
Every data subject has the right of access in accordance with Art. 15 GDPR, the right to rectification according to Art. 16 GDPR, the right to deletion according to Art. 17 GDPR, the right to restriction of processing according to Art. 18 GDPR, the right to data portability according to Art. 20 GDPR as well as the right, under the conditions of Art. 21 GDPR, to object to the processing of personal data concerning them. The restrictions according to §§ 34 and 35 BDSG apply to the right of information and the right of deletion. In addition, there is a right of appeal to a data protection supervisory authority (Art. 77 GDPR in conjunction with § 19 BDSG).
8. Am I required to provide the data?
As part of your participation in the competition, you are only required to provide the personal data that is necessary for the execution of the competition and the presentation of the award or which we are legally obliged to collect (mandatory information). Without this data, meaningful use or participation may be limited or impossible.
9. To what extent is there automated decision-making in individual cases?
To what extent will my data be used for profiling (scoring)?
A fully automated decision-making according to Art. 22 GDPR does not take place. We will inform you separately if we use these procedures in individual cases, insofar as this is required by law. We do not process your data with the aim of evaluating certain personal aspects (profiling).
Organizer contact details
engelbert strauss GmbH & Co. KG
Frankfurter Strasse 98 – 108
Phone: 06050 / 971012
VAT no.: DE112494262
Tax number: 01937260002
Commercial Register: HRA 11317
Local Court: Hanau
Personally liable partner: Norbert Strauss